Saturday, April 26, 2008

Animal, Vegetable, and Mineral

Life has been so full the past couple of weeks - it's that spring/extra light/warmth kind of energy that puts me into overdrive on external things. Family time and work time, and little creative outlet time. This is what we've done this week, a whole crew: Dad, Mom (!), Lara, Lara's boyfriend Matt, Jay and I collaborated to yield this sacred ground. I have to go measure it so I can figure out what we have room for. It's smaller than I'd hoped for, but considering the size and abundance of rocks that we unearthed, it's good enough. In 2 weeks some friends have an organic seedling sale, so that we be the makings of our garden. Oh, and I did get some organic Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce seeds at one of those big chain hardware stores, and have ordered some more seeds from my food co-op (delivery Monday).

These are the biggest rocks we got out. The small rocks on the bottom right are about 3-4 inches in length, so you can see how big they are. You can also see them behind the garden in the top photo.

And here's a visitor in my flower garden this morning:


Shadu got it and so we had turtle rescue to perform. Not easy. But we did manage to liberate the turtle from the dog and set it free in the woods. I wish I knew what kind it is... The top is pretty plain but gets interesting toward the bottom of the shell, and you can see that the turtle's skin has got some color. The bottom of the turtle had beautiful yellow markings. I couldn't get a photo of that because we had to act quickly during the rescue phase.

No comments: